In a conversation with California Healthline, John Goldstein -- co-founder and managing director of Imprint Capital -- discussed how health foundations and other philanthropic organizations can invest in programs that advance their mission.
According to Goldstein, private foundations traditionally donate about 5% of their funds annually and invest the remaining 95%. He noted that health foundations could use that 95% to invest in safety-net clinics, health information technology or other health care innovations that align with their mission.
Foundations also have the capital to take on certain risks by investing in pioneering health care programs, while commercial investors might avoid such risks, Goldstein said.
He added that foundations could serve as the "connective tissue" to ensure that underserved populations can access innovative tools and technologies aimed at improving health care quality and lowering costs (California Healthline, 4/27).
The complete transcript of this report is available as a PDF.
Running Time: 5:02